Tuesday 15 May 2012

Englands' Driest County?.................. Pah!

A full week off work at this time of year is not a luxury I get very often, but as I approach 50 I decided to damn work and bugger off to Norfolk for a few days.

Despite all its droughts and hosepipe bans I never seem to get good weather in Norfolk and so it proved again this year. Well at least on day 1.

As usual I travelled down overnight and was at the fabulous Frampton Marsh by 6am with the added bonus of a Barn Owl already in the bag (beside the A1 in Nottinghamshire). As per usual great views of Little Ringed Plover:

LRP in morning sunlight






















Avocets and BlackTailed Godwits abounded and there was also Ruff and a single Summer plumaged Curlew Sandpiper. Bonus bird was a Black Winged Stilt :

BW Stilt
























Dark Bellied Brents were also a delight, such a neat Goose and not one we in Scotland see every day:

Dark Bellied Brents in flight




















Lots of Reed and Sedge Warbler singing,but this year disappointingly no Yellow Wagtail or Corn Bunting. Best of the rest included Garganey (1 male), Little Egret & 2 1s Little Gulls. With the wind beginning to pick up and cloud increasing I headed for a hearty breakfast at the local Little Chef.

1st Summer Little Gull

Little Egret in early morning sun


After breakfast I headed East into Norfolk and an unsuccessful look for Golden Pheasant at Wolferton. By the time I reached Titchwell it was raining and there was a strong North Westerly blowing. Norfolk is not meant to be like this I want warm South Easterlies. Nonetheless Titchwell was entertaining and the new Parrinder hide although cosy was not the 'state of the art' structure I had imagined.

Parrinder Hide





















It was good to see the new flood banking which I hope will safeguard the freshmarsh for many years to come.

My year list was continuing to tick over with Little Tern and Common Sandpiper being logged. Other waders included Grey Plover and Bar Tailed Godwit. 3 White Wagtails were also noteworthy.

Avocet on a dull afternoon




























Drake Shoveler























Several Cetti's Warblers accosted my ears as I headed to find a B&B in Hunstanton. My room was haunted but a bit more about that tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment