Wednesday 30 May 2012

Dippers are Very Common in Hartlepool

Almost 12 months ago, I twitched the UK's 3rd White Tailed Robin in a garden in Hartlepool. Little did I know that 1 year on I would be back in the same place attempting to connect with the UK's first Western Orphean Warbler for 21 years.

I was out the house by 3:15 am and on site in Hartlepool for 6:45 am. The dull dreary weather encouraged the premise that the bird would "not go far" in these conditions. But despite this there was absolutely no sign by the bowling green by 09:30 am by which time the realisation had dawned that I and perhaps 50 others had well and truely dipped. That's 2 failed twitches in a row now ! There was some suggestion that the bird was not of good health and may have perished in the night. I guess we will never know?

So by 10am I was at Saltholme RSPB, and after scone and coffee I went for a look round. The obvious target species was Yellow Wagtail & several showed quite well:

Yellow Wag























Saltholme apparently holds the largest inland Common Tern colony in the UK and birds frequently appear overhead:

Common Tern amongst a backdrop of Industry






























Other higlights included 3 Little Gulls.

Some other images from the day:

Vixen

Greylags

Skylark

Stock Dove

Swallow

No comments:

Post a Comment