Sunday 9 October 2011

Wilson's Snipe

This species was on Scilly 4 years ago but I missed it because I was dragged kicking & screaming to bloody Magaluf for the October week instead and I have moaned about it ever since.

I had always thought that there was little difference between Wilson's and our own Snipe, something about more tail feathers on the former and different barring on the flanks. As such I was fairly indifferent about seeing the bird even though it would be a lifer. A conversation with a birder on Tresco the previous day however strongly suggested that this individual was quite different being essentially black with cream stripes as opposed to brown with yellow stripes.

The bird quickly showed from the Stephen Sussex hide at Porthellick and despite the indifferent light you can clearly see the difference in this photo:


A Black Striped Ball by comparison to the Common Snipe in the background



























Some better shots:

















































Next up I caught up with the ubiquitous American Golden Plover on the airfield. As in previous years a Sunday is always good on the airfield due to the cessation of fights. The AGP was accompanied by 5 of its European congers. After Sunday the AGP could only be found at the Daymark on St Martins.

The Lesser Yellowlegs had relocated from the Dump Pool to Lower Moors and was almost within touching distance of the ISBG hide with Greenshank:


Taken with the Nikon D90

Greenshank
As a continuation of the American Wader theme that has characterised Scilly this year an Upland Sand had been found the previous day at Maypole. It was still showing well this afternoon:

Upland Sand - taken later in the week at Borough Farm































By 6 pm I had 'retired' to the Scillonian Club for my dinner blissfully unaware that the Northern Waterthrush was showing at the Dump Pool. By the time I checked my pager it was dark,cursing I vowed to be on site for first light in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment