Monday 10 October 2011

Stig of the Dump























This is the Dump Pool on St Mary's. As its name suggests it is close to the municipal waste disposal site indeed it looks into it. Waste products no doubt leach into its waters but it has proved to be a magnet for rarities this Autumn. As far as I am aware it has been newly created this year by the IOS Wildlife Trust or at least it is the first Autumn where access has been granted. Its other 'attractions' include a collection of bits of wood that pass for a hide, a breeding ground for Mosquittos and a very muddy path that leads from the Dump Clump. Well this was my home for most of the day as I attempted to connect with a Northern Waterthrush !

I set my alarm for 06:30 and headed for the dump. It was still dark and I struggled to find the correct path that leads through the Dump Clump down to the pool. 'I am bound to be the only idiot here at this time in the morning' I thought. Indeed I was not ! There were already about 50 souls present standing 4 deep looking into the darkness with barely a sound except for the buzzing of the local Mosquittos that were no doubt having a great time with so many pieces of easy prey on offer  Gradually as the light began to come up I began to see. Nothing at first but soon a very obliging Water Rail and soon after the very confiding Lesser Yelowlegs flew in an started to feed. Seven thirty soon became Eight and then Eight Fifteen and given that the B&B served breakfast at 08:30 I felt obliged to leave with still no sign of the target species.

Whilst eating either my first of second sausage my pager bleeped and advised that the Waterthrush was now 'on show' at the Dump Pool. However, by the time I had hurriedly finished breakfast and run round it had departed. I staked it out for a further hour but with no further sign I was already making plans to revisit in the afternoon and to make sure I was at the front.

I returned at about 3pm and indeed was right at the front camera poised and prepared for a long wait, until dusk if required ! The Yellowlegs continued to perform incredibly well right in front of me. By 4:30 pm another crowd was beginning to gather but I remained in pole position should the bird appear. At around 4:45 a small bird flew in to the reed edge at the far end of the pool. I was quickly on to it and confirmed to myself that it was the Waterthrush. It performed admirably for a good 20 minutes and was still being enjoyed by many when I left. Unfortunately, the light was not ideal and the images were not great. This was about the best:

Nothern Waterthrush


























Northern Waterthrush



























Other highlights on a day dominated by the Waterthrush included a Bonxie past Morning Point and an adult Yellow legged Gull on the rocks at Porthcressa.

A juvenile Rose Coloured Starling showed well at Sally Port:

No comments:

Post a Comment