Sunday 30 October 2011

Splendid Pallid Harrier in Ayrshire

Successfully twitched a splendid juvenile Pallid Harrier at Garnock Floods near Irvine this afternoon !

I had initially missed it just before 10am and had to wait over 2 hours for it to show again. It was relocated initially perched on a fence in the old munitions site just north of Bogside. On reaching for the camera I found that the battery was completely dead, I had omitted to charge it after Scilly believing there still to be plenty of juice. Obviously not ! In any event it flew off almost immediately and I doubt I would have got anything even if the battery had not been flat.

Anyway my overall impression of the bird was that it was very slim with warm brown tones to the underparts and a very obvious contrasting neck collar. Its flight was light and easy, very akin to what I remember from Monty's Harrier and completely different from Hen that is an altogether much bigger bird.

Whilst waiting for the Harrier to reappear, I had my first Fieldfares of the Autumn, 3 Sparrowhawks and c6 Crossbill.

No comments:

Post a Comment