Sunday 5 May 2013

Purple Heron

Every time I predict what my next British lifer will be, Purple Heron is always top of the list. They always turn up in some far flung corner of England that is too far for me to consider travelling. However, one turned up yesterday in Northumberland and I was out the house at 05:30 am to twitch it:

Purple Heron
























Not the greatest shot but you can just about tell what it is. Other notables at East Chevington included Marsh Harrier and Whimbrel. My Warbler list for 2013 was also greatly enhanced with Reed, Sedge, Gropper and Whitethroat.

News of Yellow Wagtail at Cresswell made this the next place to visit and indeed I had at least 3 birds. Also 2 White Wagtail, another singing Grasshopper Warbler and 6 Avocet. Tree Sparrow were common around the farm buildings:

Tree Sparrow




















A Great White Egret had flown over East Chevington early morning. I caught up with it at Hauxley:

GW Egret - windy into the sun....usual excuses.
























The local Pheasants were a bit more obliging:





















I am presuming that this is a lingering overwintering bird. A migrant from Africa would not do this ?

Male Blackcap on the feeders at Hauxley

























All in all a rather good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment