Sunday 26 May 2013

East Anglia Via Hartlepool.

With a B&B pre booked for 4 nights in Cromer my intention was to leave about 9pm and go to Lakenheath for first light. However, a Thrush Nightingale was on show at Hartlepool and so I left at lunchtime to twitch it.

Thrush Nightingale - a showy bird























After a substandard fish supper in Hartlepool I stopped briefly at Saltholme and had 2 Garganey, and a very distant Pec Sand and 2 Wood Sand. I then headed south and reached Lakenheath about 4am. Very windy and cold and after a bit of a kip I headed out along the river. I heard a Green Woodpecker and had Egyptian Goose but conditions were poor and I huddled in the New Fen shelter watching a common tern:























Joist Fen provided several flight views of Bittern and several Marsh Harrier. After breakfast I went to Weeting Heath and had decent views of 2 Stone Curlew and eventually managed Woodlark:

Stone Curlew

























Returning to Lakenheath conditions were better and I had splendid views of the adult male Red Footed Falcon and several Hobby. I tried to get a decent shot of the former but it was always too far away.

Day 2 started at Kelling Heath where I had good views of several singing Woodlark as well as Dartford Warbler and Turtle Dove. Down at Cley, the best bird was a female type Red Backed Shrike. Spent a bit of time with the camera:

Cley Beach

View towards the East Bank from North Scrape

Whispering Reeds

Cley Windmill

Cley Windmill

Lapwing

Lapwing





































































































































































































Shelduck
Red Legged Partridge












































A showy Wood Sandpiper was on Arnold's Marsh but was still a bit far for the camera.

Did Holkham in the early evening and it was quiet however I did see 2 Grey Partridges, my first since 2006.

After another substandard fish supper in Wells the light was perfect for attempting the harbour:





















I finished the day with a distant Barn Owl at Cley.

Forecast for the next day was for squally showers and strong winds so I thought it better to move inland and the reported Montague's Harrier at Buckenham Marshes seemed like a good idea. I picked it up across the river, only my 2nd ever! I went back for the scope and it obliged again and a bit closer this time. A day hunting Barn Owl was also of note.

At Strumpshaw Fen I had a Marsh Tit for the year list. A single Hobby was perched up despite the wind.

Drake Wigeon from Tower Hide




















Moved on to Horsey for the Cranes and had 10 birds. One of the closer ones:

Record Shot
























Spent some time at the Waterpump:

Horsey Water Pump











































My final full day started at Titchwell in the pouring rain. As the morning wore on the rain stopped but the wind increased making birding a bit of a lottery. Best at Titchwell was Spoonbill and 2 Red Crested Pochard. The saltmarsh held several summer plumage Grey Plover:

Digiscoped Grey Plover























I tried Chosely for Corn Bunting but the conditions were against me. The drive back to Cromer along the coast road provided 2 cracking views of Barn Owl in broad daylight.

Saturday had come too quickly and it was time to head home. However, I stopped for a couple of hours at Frampton Marsh and had several LRP's and 2 Little Gulls. Again failed to connect with Corn Bunting. Still hundreds of Brent Geese.

Avocet

Saw lots during the trip but this was the 1st in sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment