Saturday 4 May 2013

Not Like May !

The lateness of Spring was evident today in the woodland at Inversnaid. Normally by this time the woodland would be carpeted in bluebells and the trees well in bud. However, today there was no sign of either. There was little birdsong of note and Willow Warblers were spending time foraging on the ground and indeed this is where I found my first Wood Warbler of the year.

1 or 2 Tree Pipits were in song and I also saw or heard about 5 Pied Flycatcher. There were few people around and this allowed for good views of the feral goats:

























The upland part of the reserve was also pretty quiet although Wheatears were common and I also heard 1 or 2 Cuckoos. Bonus was a male Black Grouse albeit a distant one. I tried without success to sneak up on any of the Wheatears so here's one I made earlier as they say and on a far sunnier day:

Spring Male Wheatear





















The camera was put to some use today:

Female Pied Wagtail

Ubiquitous Robin










































Also had at least 1 Osprey at Lake of Monteith on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment