Monday 5 December 2011

Wild Goose Chase

The last two weeks have done nothing but rain and that combined with last weekend's party and overnight stay in Aberfoyle have restricted birding opportunities.

The weather this morning was a bit more promising and I decided to head down towards Erskine to search for the flock of Tundra Bean Geese that have been getting reported recently between there and Bishopton. This is a species I have only seen once before and given the recent influx in the UK this was a good opportunity.

Erskine is not a place I know very well and I drove round for a good 20 minutes, eventuall finding Southbar but failing to see any fields with Geese in them at all. I gave up and headed towards Erskine Harbour and walked up the Clyde towards Newshot Island.

Newshot Island
























Again first time I had been here. It certainly appeared promising with a good selection of ducks and waders
including both Wigeon & Teal and Dunlin and Redshank and I had a probable Grey Plover. It looks as though the birds will vary depending on the tide and the area of reedbed off to the right looked promising for raptors. I seem to recollect a Marsh Harrier being reported last Spring ! With the recent extension of the M74 it is only 25 minutes from home so I hope I can do it more often. The whole area probably falls into the category of 'severely underwatched'.

Anyway back to my Goose chase. I finally found the site (not sure why I had missed it in the 1st place !), a stubble field some distance from the A8 running between Bishopton & Erskine and indeed there were several hundred Geese present. I set the scope up on the window mount and spent over an hour going through them. Given the distance and the light this wasn't easy ! By far the greatest majority were Greylag with up to 30 that looked like Pinkfeet but given the distance could well have been Tundra Bean, 4 Barnacle and 1 White Fronted. As regards the Tundra Bean I found seeing leg colour impossible and as such the record for me is inconclusive, hopefully, they will stay around and I might get another shot. At least next time I'll know where the site is.

No comments:

Post a Comment