Sunday 20 November 2011

Jack Snipe

The days are now noticeably shorter and coupled with the often dull & dreary weather it makes sense at this time of year to stay close to home.

This morning I headed up to Cathkin Braes for 09:30 and was soon enjoying at least 4 Tree Sparrows accompanied by a few House Sparrow and Chaffinches at the Windlaw feeding site.

Armed with my wellies, I waded as short distance into the Windlaw marsh in search of Jack Snipe. Jack Snipe when approached often crouch until the last minute and then fly often quite feebly and land a short distance away. I got into an area where I had already flushed several and stood and looked in an attempt to locate one to photograph. Each time I edged forward another one would flush from almost under my feet and yet I hadn't seen it. This happened several times until I gave up so as not to disturb them any more.

Jack Snipe.....though not today !
 


























After this I went round to Cathkin Marsh and enjoyed a large flock (>100) of Fieldfares & Redwings in the surrounding fields and hedges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment