Saturday 28 May 2016

North West Highlands

Its been 4 years since I did Handa & I had forgotten just how far it is from Glasgow. Some 290 miles nearly at the top of Scotland.

Anyway the weather was set to be glorious and even at 8:30 am in Ullapool on the first morning it was very pleasant. The long staying juvenile Glaucous Gull however, was no where to be seen about the harbour.

Forty miles further on I arrived at the boat for Handa.

Boat to Handa
I spent about 5 hours on the island. Seabirds are the main attraction including Puffins, Arctic Terns and both Arctic Skua & Bonxie.

Glorious Weather....

.... and views

Fulmar





Oystercatcher & Sea Pink

Arctic Skua

Bonxie


Raven
Camped overnight at Scourie serenaded by the calls of Cuckoo, Song Thrush, Common Sand & drumming Snipe.

Scourie
Next morning I called back in at Ullapool & got the Glaucous Gull. At Loch Gruiniard I had 1 Great Northern Diver, 3 Red Throated Diver but despite 2 hours consistent watching no Sea Eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment