Sunday 10 April 2016

Spey Valley Weekend

Partick Thistle had the chance to get into the top 6 by getting a result at Ross County so it seemed like as good a time as any to visit the Global Energy Stadium in Dingwall for the first time. Even better if it could be combined with some birding in Speyside.

I reached Loch Garten at 2am and slept in the car until 5:30 for 'Caperwatch'. The cameras had got on a male in view of the forward hide & so the 15 or so hardy souls were invited to proceed to aforementioned hide where very soon I was looking at a male Capercaillie. A good if brief view as it quickly became totally obscured by the trees. Also of note were Osprey, Siskin & flyover Crossbills. Sand Martin were over Loch Garten.

Garten Wood

Loch Garten in the early morning

Tulloch Moor was the next stop in the hope of Black Grouse but I drew a blank. Back in Garten Wood I quickly located Crested Tit and several Crossbill sp.

By late morning I was at Lochindorb and had 2 Black Throated Divers & great views of Red Grouse.




By 2pm I was in Dingwall for the football but despite a spirited showing we finished out of the top 6.

After an overnight stay in Aviemore I headed to Cairngorn for 10 o'clock. Right away I had Ring Ouzel just below the car park. As I climbed into the hills Loch Morlich became ever distant.





The high tops became ever closer:


I was now in Ptarmigan country....







.... and Mountain Hare:


I had a brief stop at Inch Marshes but it was quiet with only 11 Whooper Swans of any note.


No comments:

Post a Comment