Saturday 30 April 2016

Leighton Moss

Saturday looked by far the best day of the long weekend & I was at Killington Lake services for 7am for my McDonalds style breakfast. My arrival coincided with a coach load of kids, so it took a bit longer than I envisaged.

By 7:30 I was at Leighton Moss. With high tide at Morecambe Bay not until mid afternoon I started off down towards the Public Hide that had been replaced since my last visit. It was cold for late April & this probably suppressed bird song but nonetheless I could still hear Reed, Sedge, Cettis & Willow Warblers.

Pochard from the Public Hide
Disappointingly there was no sight or sound of either Bittern or Bearded Tit but Water Rail was calling. Even this early several Marsh Harriers were quartering the reserve.

Around the Centre the feeders encouraged Nuthatch, Marsh Tit & Bullfinch as well as tame Pheasants.

Great Opportunities for a close up
The Grizedale hide had c20 Black Tailed Godwit & 5 Ruff as well as Lapwing.


With Marsh Marigolds
I drove round at Warton Crag where I had both Raven & Peregine & after coffee to the Allen Pools.

Wader wise there were hundreds of Black Tailed Godwit, along with a main supporting cast of Avocets & a single Spotted Redshank. I got on 2 summer plumage adult Med Gulls for good measure.





I also got a snatch of Lesser Whitethroat in the scrub surrounding the pools.

Finished back at the Public Hide.

Black Headed Gull a feature at Leighton Moss in the summer

No comments:

Post a Comment