Sunday 4 October 2015

Shetland - Day 2

I was staying in Bigton in the South Mainland and after breakfast I 'did the village'. Weather was dry with light SW winds. 2 Yellow Browed Warblers were in sycamores on the 'main street' and I had a look at a newly arrived Redwing in one of the gardens. Otherwise a fly over Skylark was about it.

The famous Geosetter burn was 5 minutes along the road but was birdless apart from a Shetland Wren and a Goldcrest.

At Spiggie I got a good view of a Barred Warbler & I might even have got a photo had it not been for the local cat who was hunting the garden the Warbler was in.

I'm after that Barred Warbler too
At Loch Spiggie I had 5 Whooper Swans.

I had a look for the reported Blyth's Reed Warbler at Toab but given that there was little else to see, the site was overrun with birders and the bird had become very elusive. I reckon I briefly saw an acrocephalus Warbler of some kind but that was all.

There was however, a much more obliging Lapland Bunting at Sumburgh Head:

Lapland Bunting
At nearby Grutness there were at least 2 Yellow Browed in the walled garden:



No comments:

Post a Comment