Saturday 16 May 2015

Leighton Moss and Burnbanks

Started at the Allen Pools at 7:45am. I picked up a couple of Med Gulls loafing away from the main Black Headed Gull colonies. Avocets were their usual bossy selves which they probably have to be with all the Gulls around.


Gadwall were busy chasing each other around & I caught this one in flight:


I moved round to the Eric Morecambe hide and all of a sudden all hell broke loose as a Peregrine dived in grabbed a Black Headed Gull and as it made off dropped it again.

2 Little Egrets were also present.



On the main reserve I was quickly hearing & seeing Reed Warblers & Marsh Harriers respectively. From the Lower Hide I watched 2 Otters & Great Crested Grebe.


A very tame Pheasant posed for his picture:


I wish I could get Marsh Marigold to grow as well as this in my garden pond:


After lunch I spent some time in both Lilian & Grizedale hides.

Drake Shoveler in flight

Noisy parties of Greylag are always a feature:



By late afternoon I drove up to Burnbanks in Cumbria in the hope of catching up with some of the oak woodland specialties. I managed Spotted Flycatcher but not Pied Flycatcher and there were several Wood Warbler but no Tree Pipit. A distant calling Green Woodpecker was added to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment