Friday 24 April 2015

Glen Luce

Just back from 2 days in the Three Lochs Caravan park. Weather was superb with warm sunshine on particularly the Thursday.

First morning involved a walk round Loch Heron & a bit of Loch Ronald. Up to 6 Common Sandpipers were on the latter. Summer migrants continue to be added to my 2015 list and the newest one around the caravan park was a calling Cuckoo. Willow Warbler numbers also appeared to be holding up well in this part of the world.

1 of maybe 6 Common Sands, but difficult to get close to


In the afternoon we went to Wigtown Harbour, a site I had never visited. I was surprised by the number of Pink Feet that were still present:

Part of a flock of more than 500 birds

Quite flighty. Maybe preparing for Iceland ?

My first Sedge Warbler for the year was also noted here.

Before we collected our Indian from Newton Stewart we spent about an hour at Wood of Cree. Several Wood Warblers were on site. Here's one from last year:



However, there was no sign of either Pied Flycatcher or Tree Pipit. Presumably I was a tad early? A Nuthatch was making quite a racket & again underlining how widespread this bird now is in the southern half of Scotland.

On Friday morning I drove to Port Logan. The light was superb for taking this Oystercatcher on the beach:


The highlight however, was 15+ Whimbrel. I also noted my first Sandwich Terns of the year as well as Whitethroat, House Martin & Stonechat.

No comments:

Post a Comment