Friday 30 January 2015

Musselburgh Lagoons

This represented my first visit  away from the local area this year & was well worth it on what was a cold but bright January day in East Lothian. In total I spent six enjoyable hours not seeing anything particularly out of the ordinary but just having a good day out.

I spent most of my time sitting & watching from the westernmost hide by the scrapes. My arrival coincided with high tide and as such there was a large roost of Oystercatcher & Godwit.

After lunch I walked along the seawall but the noth west wind meant that the Forth was choppy and I only saw a few Long Tailed Duck & Velvet Scoter.

It was blowing a gale at the Esk mouth & there was lots of vibration with the scope but nonetheless I picked out a few Grey Plover, Dunlin & Ringed Plovers.

In the last afternoon I went back to the scapes & had 7 Grey Partridge. I can't remember the last ones I saw in Scotland ! It might even have been at this site.

Bar Tailed Godwit venturing close to the hide


Cockenzie Power Station dominates the horizon

Common Gull in nice light

The 1st Grey Partridge I have seen in Scotland for many years


Just Landed

Flying towards the River Esk mouth

Nice contrast of colours going on here 

High Tide Roost

Redshank

On alert

Drake Teal & Winter sunshine

Flying Wigeon





No comments:

Post a Comment