Sunday 9 September 2012

Hound Point

I was at a bit of a loss today for what to do birding wise. I had done most of my ironing chores yesterday but could only really afford the morning for birding. Having left the pager on overnight I noticed that Hound Point had some Poms & Black Terns yesterday so seeing that it is only about an hour away I plumped for that.

Did the touristy bit first





















In truth the touristy bit was about as good as it got. In an hour and a half I saw one Skua (about a million miles away).

Otherwise there were a few Sandwich & Common Terns, a big passage of Gannets, 1 Kittiewake and 2 Fulmar. A Nuthatch was calling in the adjoining woodland.

With regard to the woodland, a couple of ladies enquired of me what the 50 or so birds they had seen flying into the trees might have been. They thought they might have been "Sand Martins". For Sand Martins read Goldfinches.

Of course looking at the pager this evening I am seeing reports of "... 7 Poms & 32 Arctics between 2pm & 5pm". Bugger !!!!!!1

No comments:

Post a Comment