Sunday 23 September 2012

Going to Shetland

After many years of attending the Scillies in Autumn, I am finally abandoning the place & going to Shetland. So bye bye cake shops, nice weather and pubs and hello to wind and rain and with regards to pubs, well........... I don't really know.

So it's train to Aberdeen on Friday, followed by an overnight crossing to Lerwick arriving at 07:30 on Saturday, hire car and B&B. There were of course other alternatives like flying from Glasgow to Sumburgh or taking my own car on the boat. Of course being an Accountant I had a very large spreadsheet with lots of lookups & pivot tables analysing all the options before deciding on the best course of action.

Then of course I had to put it all into practice. First job was sorting the B&B. Absolutely no problem at all. The lady did not even want a deposit. Next was Northlink Ferries and booking over the net. Again no problem & a fraction of the price of the Scillonian. Finally the car hire from Bolts in Lerwick. Again, easy & as with the B&B no deposit required.

So have I picked the best week? A look at the pager & the weather forecast tonight would perhaps suggest not. The potential for next week looks, well............ MEGA what with birds already there and the prospect of Easterlies for most of the week. By the time I go the wind looks like going back into the West and strengthening.

But whatever, I am going to pack lots of waterproofs and my wellies and gloves. I have even cut out the sleeve of an old waterproof to put over the camera in an emergency. I am wondering if I should bother with the scope? I don't want to lug around too much gear. On balance I think I will probably take it even if it sits in the boot most of the time.

Anyway, the forecast for today looked quite good for the East coast, so I was out the house for 6am and at Barns Ness for 7:30 am. Pretty dead however with only a calling Yellow Wag & a Pale Bellied Brent Goose & 6 Pink Feet of any note.

Next post is likely to be about Shetland unless I go for the Magnolia. Oh that's Shetland too.......duh !

No comments:

Post a Comment