Tuesday 13 March 2012

Heritage Loch Scores Again.....!

My first day back at work was relatively short. My meeting in Hamilton finished refreshingly early and allowed me to make my way home via the Heritage Loch.

An initial scan through the Gulls picked up a 1st Winter Iceland Gull, presumably the same one as yesterday and I also noticed the 1st Winter Drake Scaup on the far side of the loch still associating with the Drake Pochard. My second scan picked up a small neat gull with seemingly black wing tips about 2/3rds of the way across the loch. I immediately thought "Kittiwake" but wondered if I was imagining it and started to look round for a Common Gull to compare with................... there were none.

My initial doubts were quickly dispelled when the bird was harassed by a Herring Gull and took to the air confirming jet black wing tips and black legs. It quickly settled again and began to wash and preen. A good inland record and I wonder if it was the same bird seen at Baron's Haugh at the weekend ?

Other notables today included 4 Oystercatcher and the 2 Canada Geese.

Unfortunately, more boat activity today including some idiot in a dingy scattering everything just as I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment