Monday 2 January 2012

And we're off and running in 2012

Today looked to be by far the best day weather wise this week before I have to start back to work. Keen to start off my 2012 list in positive fashion a trip down on to the Solway was decided.

The 1st stop was Kirk Loch at Lochmaben where I hoped that a drake American Wigeon would be forthcoming. It was being reported most of last week but not yesterday and I could not locate it today either. There was a cold wind coming off the loch and so I did not scan too long but long enough to count 80 Eurasian Wigeon and a similar amount of Canada Geese. Other than that there were a handful of Tufties & Goldeneye and a few Gadwall.

Round at Castle Loch at least 2 Willow Tit were very vocal & quickly showed but I could not locate Nuthatch.

Willow Tit


















On the loch itself there were up to 40 Tufted Duck and a Tufted/Scaup hybrid.

The foreast for the day was increasing wind and by the time I reached Caerlaverock it was quite strong. There had been a drake GW Teal on the Folly Pond since before Christmas & indeed yesterday a 2nd was discovered. Despite all my scanning from Farmhouse Tower today I could not locate it. As far as I know it was not seen today.

Most of the usual stuff on the reserve. 2 Black Tailed Godwit were on the Folly Pond, Tree Sparrow & Sparrowhawk. The Barnacle Geese showed quite closely from the Silver & Gold Hide in the afternoon:

Creative Blur going on here............I think !

No comments:

Post a Comment