Saturday 26 March 2011

Goshawk Lives Up To Its Reputation

I like to get out birding whenever I can. Often I am quite keen to go a distance, the idea of driving for 3 hours before it even gets light seems to be part of the attraction ! So when the weather is decent and the opportunity arises when Patricia is off I need to go. If I don't and waste my time pottering about the house or such like, I get annoyed and chastise myself. I think it's all stems from a condition called repetitive compulsive disorder. I think all serious birders suffer from this ?

I had been contemplating where to go for several days and with no 'big' birds anywhere to draw me in one particular direction, I was in a bit of a quandary. Speyside ?. In March ? Not a good idea, it'll still be Winter up there. Marshside ? Its about a 4 hour drive ! Probably not worth it just for 'just' a Lesser Scaup. What about Leighton Moss ? Good chance of something like a Garganey and there's bound to be some other early migrants. That's fine I'll set my alarm for 4am.

Indeed I did set my alarm, but there is a difference between setting my alarm and getting up. I fell back to sleep, and next thing I know it's half past SEVEN ! Too late to do Lancashire justice. So it's going to be a day pottering about the house is it ? No, time for Plan B.

A quick look at the weather forecast for the Hexham area and by 8:30 am (very late) I'm on my way to Keilder in Northumberland in the hope of Goshawk. Now Goshawk know I'm coming, I'm convinced of that. Despite a reasonable forecast, they're very good in my experience of making it rain or something similar so that they don't have to display and I don't see them. And when I got to Keilder................. you guessed it, it starts to rain.

However, things start quite well with a Green Woodpecker calling and what's that  I hear ? Oh yes, a Crossbill and another one, very good.

First stop is the hide at Bakethin Reservoir, good for Mandarin Duck 2 years ago. Nope, none today. Several Goldeneye, Teal and Goosander though. My first Spring migrant, in the form of a Sand Martin soon appears, indeed there were several parties during the day. By now the rain has stopped. Time to try for Goshawk further along the Reservoir.

I spend the next couple of hours scanning the skies and tree tops on the other side of the Reservoir. Several Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk were present but no sign of Goshawk. In truth the weather isn't great and it's quite cool and I was not altogether surprised there is a no show. During my vigil I am frequently entertained by lots of Siskin and the occasional Crossbill:

Male Crossbill


























And Again




























I spend the remainder of the afternoon searching in vain for Goshawk. Another Sparrowhawk shows well and I see plenty of Buzzards. A Great Spotted Woodpecker is also notable. By 5pm I have had enough and head for home. Disappointing not to see the target species, but hey it's better than staying in the house !

No comments:

Post a Comment