Sunday 12 December 2010

Winter Drawers On

I have got to say that the past week's winter weather is the worst I can remember. Back in the mid eighties I remember deeper snow (over the tops of wellies) but this week's snow combined with day time temperatures of minus 11 was a bit of a nightmare. Pipes froze in the house, central heating was off and significant travel disruption of course.

A thaw set in around Thursday evening but it has got colder again and this morning was back to below zero.

These conditions will have had consequences for birds and near home I have certainly noticed more Redwings and particularly Fieldfares around this week. One group of Redwings feeding in a holly bush in Brownside Road were completely unconcerned by my presence even though I was only a few feet away. Waxwings continue to be around with at least one heard over the house yesterday.

After a night out last night with Patricia and the girls for a Chinese including several drinks, I did not venture out to Hogganfield until about midday. The area of open water was even less than last Sunday and was still packed with Wildfowl. A sad sight was 2 dead Swans including a 1st year bird, presumably victims of the cold.

There was nothing particularly special around that I could see and Gull numbers continue to be very low. Perhaps more will appear in late December. I am off for a fortnight then and trailing round Gull roosts is something I look forward to at that time of year. How sad...........eh ?


Goosander - on ice !

Goosander - close up

Grey Lag Goose

Mallard Drake

Female Mallard

Moorhen

Drake Shoveler

Drake Tufted Duck

Drake Tufted Duck - showing white on wing

No comments:

Post a Comment