Saturday 4 December 2010

More Waxwings & Still Freezing

Snow & freezing temperatures have been present now for a full week. Travelling any distance is frankly a bit stupid so the plan today was to do some ironing and earn some brownie points and stay local.

After lunch I persuaded Patricia that she might enjoy a wee stroll round Hogganfield Loch. As I loaded up the car I heard that now familiar Waxwing trill. "That sound quite close" I thought and sure enough there was c20 in the big fir tree in one of the adjacent gardens at the back of our house. My immediate thoughts were to perhaps go & open Louise's window and take some shots. However, this would almost certainly be straight into the sun, so I didn't bother.

Hogganfiield was completely frozen apart from an area in front of the car park. The usual throng included 2 or 3 Shoveler and c5 Teal. I tried to take some shots of a very close drake Goosander, but they were so bad I deleted them when I got home.

We walked round the loch seeing very little with only 3 Kestels & 1 Fieldfare of any note. I had a quick scan for the Med Gull that I have seen reported this week but no sign.

On the way home there was another flock of Waxwings in berry bushes at Queenslie.

More freezing weather forecast for tonight !

No comments:

Post a Comment