Saturday 4 September 2010

Big Dip in East Yorkshire

Took a days TOIL (3rd Sept 10) to twitch the Eastern Olivacious Warbler at Flamborough. My requirement to drop the kids at school meant that I could not leave Glasgow until 9am.

I got to Flamborough at c2.20 pm and was told in the car park that the bird had been performing well. A brisk walk down the path bordering Old Fall Hedge and round the side of the plantation saw me on site by   c 2:30 pm.

Half an our soon became an hour, became 2 hours and no sign. Apparently the bird had last shown at 2:10 pm. Its tendancy to show better in the early evening kept my hopes up, but by 6:30 pm and still no show I had had enough and with a 5 hour drive back to Glasgow (I got home at quarter to one) beckoning I left. Apparently the bird had shown very briefly and not very well on the south side of the plantation at some stage in the afternoon.

Unfortunately, I had to accept that I had dipped !

Birds of interest during the time I was there were 1 Pied Fly, 1 Spot Fly, 1 Lesser Whitethroat and a Whimbrel calling as it flew over.

No comments:

Post a Comment