Sunday 8 August 2010

08 August 10 Montrose Basin

Ruddy Shelduck has long been on my wanted list and whilst I suppose one can never be absolutely confident about the origin of some of the birds, 9 together on the East coast is about as good as it gets. Originally found at Loch of Strathbeg in July, the 9 birds relocated to the Montrose Basin whilst I was in Suffolk. However, since they had not been reported recently I assumed they had gone. However, when they were reported again last night the opportunity for bird number 390 in Britain was too good to miss !

I arrived at the Lurgies around 8:30 am and quickly found the birds on an incoming tide. Although never particularly close I think you get the general idea:











































































































The other very good bird present today was a Common Crane, but unfortunately I failed to see it despite it taking flight on at least 2 occasions.

Greenshanks were frequently heard and seen. 1 Little Egret, still a scare bird in Scotland, was present. Several Common Sands were seen throught the day and a hunting Peregrine put up all the waders at one stage. A Tree Pipit could be heard singing from adjacient woodland.

One of the local ringers was mist netting birds on the marsh and called me over to show me a Kingfisher he had caught. From memory this is my first for the year. I cannot recollect a previous one ? I saw a further 2 in flight later on in the day.

Some other images of a very enjoyable day:

Mute Swan family on the South Esk:




















'Atmospheric' RB Merg with young:





















Male Yellowhammer:

No comments:

Post a Comment