Sunday 24 January 2016

Aberlady

The idea of another visit to the patch did not particularly appeal today so I decided to venture east where the weather looked the most promising.

Whilst it was dry, it was windy although not at all cold for January.

A deserted beach - not a Sanderling in sight
Off Gullane Point I had 3 Red Throated Divers, 3 Razorbill, Eiders, Common Scoters & the odd Velvet Scoter.


The tide was out & I scanned hundreds of Knot & Dunlin out in the bay.

Coming back over the salt marsh I had at least 1 Twite & a Sparrowhawk was playing havoc with the 100+ Fieldfare in the Buckthorn.




The Buckthorn certainly adds colour to a January day.

A Water Rail called from the Marl Loch & I spent a while scanning for the Long Eared Owl without success. I see this evening it was reported at 2pm.

By the time I got back to the wooden bridge the tide was right in & had pushed some of the birds including female Pintail quite close.






No comments:

Post a Comment