Friday 27 February 2015

Leighton Moss

A read at a birder's blog put me in the notion to do Leighton Moss and with a days flexi booked off I was at the visitor's centre for c9:30 am on a cold but reasonably bright morning.

First stop was Lillian's hide where there were a few common Ducks as well as a few Snipe. About 5 female Pheasant were feeding close to the hide including this one :

Add caption
I quickly picked out several Marsh Tit feeding in trees close to the Visitor' Centre and there were several vocal Nuthatchs:


and Treecreepers :


The woodland feeders were equally productive:




Next I headed down to the Allen Pools in search of the 5 Russian White Fronts. They were in with Greylags near the level crossing:


The Allen Pools themselves provided Avocet & Black Tailed Godwit and a single Spotted Redshank:



The afternoon was spent hoping for Bittern from the Public hide but there was no show. I did however see 1 Marsh Harrier and kept myself busy with some of the Ducks:




No comments:

Post a Comment