Saturday 12 April 2014

Shows Yer Bars

Never having seen Two Barred Crossbill the prospect of going to see the 5+ wintering in South Yorkshire has been a continual temptation but the drive & the short days & of course the inability to get out my pit early enough have up until now conspired against me. A single reliable one a wee bit closer in Greater Manchester and the lengthening days finally encouraged me to go and by 11:30 am I was on site. Getting lost in Bury and initially being at the wrong car park at Saddleworth Moor explained the lateness of the hour especially considering I left Glasgow at 5am.

The Crossbill had apparently shown at 09:30 but not since & so I settled myself for a long wait. Not a bit of its because by 11:50 I heard "chip, chip, chip" and 3 Crossbill arrived in nearby larches including the male Two Barred:




Soon the 3 birds flew off and there seemed little point in hanging around and I headed back West to Leighton Moss for some lunch and some leisurely afternoon birding.

Marsh Harriers were much in evidence and I caught up with some early migrants such as Sand Martin, Swallow & Willow Warbler. Avocets & Black Tailed Godwits were good at the Allen Pools.

Great Crested Grebe

Very tame Pheasant 

Black Headed Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment