Sunday 12 January 2014

Iceland Gull at Strathclyde Loch

Following up on a report from yesterday, the first bird I saw at the mouth of the Calder was a Juvenile Iceland Gull. I got distracted by the Goose flock and never saw it again during the 2 hours I was there.

There was a drake Scaup on the loch. It appeared to be more mature than the 1st winter that was present in late December, so could be a different bird.

There is a nice drinking and bathing area at the mouth of the Calder due to the water level being low. I presume it is some kind of maintenance there doing but whatever it is really good at present. The number of Goldeneye have dropped a bit possibly because the water level is lower.

I relocated what I know now to be a juvenile White Fronted Goose that I saw at the end of the year in with the Greylags.

Juvenile White Fronted Goose


Spent lots of time sifting through the large numbers of Black Headed Gulls for yesterdays reported Med without success.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Douglas!

    This is the juv Greenland White-fronted Goose that has also been frequenting Carbarns/B Haugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Davie, that would make sense. I didn't think to consider that.

    ReplyDelete