Sunday 17 November 2013

Caerlaverock

I kind of thought I had been in Dumfries & Galloway quite a lot this year but nonetheless this was my first visit to Caerlaverock.

Weather started off reasonable bright but soon got misty and then the rain started. In truth it was a pretty grotty November day. The new Peter Scott hide is a huge improvement on its predecessor especially since you can open up the windows in the tower for photography. Not that that was particularly easy today in the gloom.

Peter Scott Tower through the gloom






















A drake Green Winged Teal has been around for weeks but it took me until after lunch to find it. Eventually, it showed very well.

Green Winged Teal
























Teal for comparison





















Distant raptors with nothing to size them against are not easy, particularly when you don't see them very often, but I think this is a female Merlin. It's going on my year list anyway. If anybody thinks otherwise please let me know & I might have to take it off.

Merlin - I think ?
































Otherwise there were a few Barnacles to look at....



















Just good to be outside enjoying the riches that Scotland has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment