Sunday 13 January 2013

Heritage & Hogganfield Lochs

The threat of snow put me off going any distance today. I had hoped to go through to Musselburgh but on peeking out the curtains at 6:30 this morning some light snow was falling and that decided me to stay local. In truth the snow came to nothing other than rain & I could have gone.

After catching up with some chores, I went for a walk round Heritage at 1 o'clock. Apart from a good view of the Kingfisher, that has been frequenting the west end of late, there was little of interest. The Lapwing flock was in an adjacent field and I counted 32, a considerable increase on recent counts. Tufted Duck numbers continue to be low with no more than 25 birds.

After Heritage I went over to Hogganfield in the hope of perhaps connecting with yesterday's reported Iceland Gull. On the way there were about 10 Waxwing in some trees next to the M8. A single Great Crested Grebe was at least a year tick and I counted 22 Whooper Swans that had been absent when I last visited in late December.

Great Crested Grebe - 1st one now returned to Hogganfield

No comments:

Post a Comment