Friday 19 October 2012

Eastern Olivaceous Warbler - 3rd Time Lucky.

After dipping an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler at Flamborough 3 or 4 years ago and then the one that turned out to be a Chiffchaff in Fife earlier this year, when one turned up in the same place in Fife at the beginning of the week I was keen to see it.

Being busy at work it did not seem likely that I would be able to go until Saturday. Looking at the weather forecast of continuing Easterlies I was hopeful that it might stay but the element of South Westerly looming for Friday night meant I could wait no longer and with good progress at work I left the office at midday.

I arrived at Kilminning at just after 2pm and as luck would have it there was a wee knot of birders on the bird and it was performing admirably & calling almost continually. It soon however hoped up over the bank and I did not see it again until it was nearly dark. I'm afraid the photos are rubbish, even more than usual:

Autumn Colours - with a blurred Eastern Olly

Autumn Colours - with a slightly more obvious Eastern Olly - note no yellowish tones !
Absolutely no yellow tones, longish bill, sloping head profile, dipped its tail & called "tek" almost constantly.
 
A Red Breasted Flycatcher was an added bonus:
 
RB Fly
Rounded off the day with a fish supper from the Anstruther Fish Bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment