Sunday 10 June 2012

Ullapool Weekend

In a quest to add to my year list and in particular to fill a large seabird gap, my initial plan was to take in the Isle of May. However, the boat was full and therefore a change of plan was required. With Patricia & the girls at Jamfest in Liverpool all weekend I had an opportunity for a night away myself and so a trip to Handa was decided.

 Out of the house at 03:45, I reached Tarbet by 09:45. The small ferry is advertised as starting at 10:00 but its willingness to sail is apparently often dependent on it being full.  However, despite there only being 3 passengers at that hour in the morning it nonetheless departed.

Common Gull in Tarbet Harbour












I spent about 5 hours on the island and got all the seabirds including a few Puffins. Skuas are a major feature, with Bonxies in particular never far away. Some images:

Arctic Skua

Bonxie

Fulmar

Kittiewake

Oystercatcher & Sea Pink

Razorbill

Wheatear

Wheatear Juv


Other notables included Arctic Tern & Common Sandpiper. The journey back on the boat also produced 2 Black Guillemots.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a Golden Eagle, but I estimate it was back in the 1980's. Back on the mainland however, conditions looked quite good for soaring raptors and indeed nearing Ullapool I caught sight of a large raptor from the car. Fortunately, the road was quiet and I was able to stop and scope a cracking adult Golden Eagle.

After finding a B&B in Ullapool, I tried before dinner for Sea Eagle on Gruinard Island. Unfortunately, I was looking into the light and there was no sign. There would however, be another opportunity tomorrow.

After breakfast I was back at Gruinard for before 10, but in 2 hours there was absolutely no sign of Sea Eagle. Up to 10 Great Nothern & 2 Red Throated Divers in Gruinard Bay was of some compensation. At least 4 Red Kite over the Black Isle on the way home was also notable.

No comments:

Post a Comment