Sunday 8 May 2011

Loch Ardinning

Rachel's cheerleading display is at the Mitchell Theatre in the West End and I have the job of dropping her off there for her dress rehearsal at 12:45 pm. Since the show is not until the evening I have plenty of time to nip up to Loch Ardinning.

Loch Ardinning itself does not hold great numbers of birds however, the surrounding Muirhouse Moor is the nearest place I know to Glasgow for regular Cuckoo and Whinchat. Back in the late eighties I regularly saw Whinchat at my then regular patch at Baron's Haugh but unfortunately no longer. The species appears to have declined significantly and is now a scarce bird. Cuckoo on the other hand still appears quite common in the West of Scotland although nationally it has declined also.

When I dropped Rachel in the West End it was sunny however, by the time I reach Loch Ardinning the clouds had gathered and indeed rumbles of thunder can clearly be heard up towards Aberfoyle.

The woodland is full of Willow Warbler song and the parachuting song of Tree Pipit can also be heard.

Tree Pipit

























By the time I got to the moorland edge I can clearly hear Cuckoo and very soon I see the bird several times in flight. An unseen Grasshopper Warbler is also reeling from the moor. The path winds its way up a slope towards the cairn at the top and this is often a good place for Stonechat. Today there are none ! I presume that the winter has really taken its toll.

I am also beginning to think that I am not going to see Whinchat, but eventually I hear one call and indeed I then quickly see 2 birds. I normally see more at this site but I think they are one of the later migrants to arrive so it might just be a bit too early. It is normally early June before I venture up here.

The circular walk down through the woodland and back on to the moor produces more Tree Pipit and Cuckoo and another Grasshopper Warbler. The Cuckoo is a bit more obliging this time and I manage a record shot:

Male Cuckoo

























As the path descends towards the Loch, the rain starts and I start to head towards the car park. A pair of Tufted Ducks on the Loch are close enough for a shot so I get wet :

Tufted Ducks

No comments:

Post a Comment