Saturday 5 June 2010

05 June 10 Balmaha

I dropped Rachel at a cheerleading competition at the Kelvin Hall at 8:30 am and c45 mins later I was at Balmaha. This is an area I don't really know and my idea was to do somewhere called Sallochy Woods. I pulled in at the side of the road just after Balmaha village at a likely site. This apparently wasn't Sallochy but it was mature oak woodland nonetheless.

I walked up the hill into the wood and immediately happened upon a Fallow Deer. I assumed it would run off, but instead it continued to feed no more than 50 yards away:





































2 Garden Warblers were in full song and after a short wait, one was seen well briefly. Wood Warblers were singing and in the 4 hours I was in the wood I saw several very well.

One particular area held at least 4 Spotted Flycatcher and they were frequently calling from treetops. I spent most of my time in the wood trying to photograph them, unfortunately with limited success:


















Other birds of note included Cuckoo, Tree Pipit, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Redpoll and Jay. A Raven was heard flying over and a Common Sandpiper heard from the adjacient Loch Lomond.

A possible Redstart was heard and a brief back end of a bird tail pumping was also glimpsed further fueling the possibility. Treecreepers were frequently seen. This one appeared to be sunning itself:

No comments:

Post a Comment